Environment, Governance, and Public Policy Research Group (EGPPRG) is based in the Faculty of the Social Sciences, University of Nigeria, Nsukka. The group is grounded in the conviction that responses to political and environmental challenges require researchers and practitioners trained in the social sciences, with transdisciplinary and systems thinking and who work flexibly across disciplinary and sectoral boundaries. It is set up to develop a theoretically sophisticated and empirically grounded understanding of the dynamic relations between environment, society and policy. The rate and complexity of environmental change poses profound economic, social and political challenges for contemporary society.
Developing ways to address these challenges demands intellectual rigour, innovation and flexibility, as well as the capacity to think across existing disciplinary boundaries. The research group aims to help develop a theoretically sophisticated and empirically grounded understanding of the dynamic relations between environment, society and policy. To this end it draws on the methods and approaches from across the social sciences, including fields such as human geography, anthropology, environmental economics, human resource management, science and technology studies, and corporate environmental management.
The EGPPRG will seek to facilitate dialogue between researchers and practitioners concerning contemporary issues of environmental policy and politics. In terms of methodology, the EGPPRG shall utilize mixed methods approach, combining quantitative and qualitative methods in seeking solutions to man-environment-society problems.
The EGPPRG is made up of researchers from departments of Political Science, Geography, Economics and Public Administration of the university.
The objectives of EGPPRG are:
• to provide broad and critical engagements with key debates in the environmental social sciences, focusing on the relations between nature-society, science-politics and economy-development
• to foster an understanding of the applied practices of environmental policy and the challenges of real-world environmental governance
• to contribute to solutions to society-environment problems through innovative public policy making
The focus of EGPPRG will include (but not limited to) the following areas:
• The role of civil society, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and Community-based organizations (CBOs) in environmental governance and public policy
• Geo-politics of resource management and resource governance
• Political economy and social sustainability of environmental resources management
• Human capital development for governance and public policy making
• Geographical and ecological diversity and their public policy implications
• Political ecologies (urban, feminist) of environment-resources conflict, Environmental justice issues and their policy dimensions
• Political economy and public policy dimensions of the Niger delta conflict
• Corporate social responsibility (CSR) and conflict management in the extractive industry
Members of the EGPPRG have been involved as individuals and as teams in research, projects and publications in such areas public policy, civil society, environmental management, oil and gas exploration and production, conflict management, human capital development, and electoral reform and management. Some of these studies have recently been published in high impact journals such as Habitat International, Review of African Political Economy, Singapore Journal of Tropical Geography, Nigerian Journal of International Affairs etc.
CONTACT ADDRESS OF COORDINATOR
c/o Dr. Peter O. Mbah,
Department of Political Science
University of Nigeria, 410001 Nsukka
Enugu State, Nigeria
2. Thaddeus Chidi Nzeadibe
3. DR. EDWIN IZUEKE
4. DR. MBA IFEOMA CHRISTY (NEE ANAEDUM)
5. DR. BERNARD UGOCHUKWU NWOSU