The Department of Geology; University of Nigeria, established in 1961, is one of the oldest of such departments in Nigeria. Its graduates consist of the Required work force for the oil, mining and related industries in Nigeria.Â The Department offers a 5-year Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) degree programme in Geology and a combined degree programme in Geology and Physics.Â The Department is a centre of excellence in University education and research.
Geology is an applied earth science where the earth is studied as a system that results from the physical, chemical and biological interactions of the atmosphere, hydrosphere, biosphere and solid earth.
Our curriculum and research require a minimum of 168 units for a B.Sc. Honours degree in Geology or 179 units for a B.Sc. Honours degree in Combined Geology and Physics programme. The programmes are generally focused on several aspects of the interactions of the atmosphere, hydrosphere, biosphere and solid earth and their byproducts thus preparing the student for industrial and or self employment.
The focus of the educational programme in Geology is to enable the student acquire the skills relevant to the ever increasing Earth Resources Industry and ancillary services. Graduates are expected to gain expertise in a wide range of geological activities including (but not limited) to the following:
- Seismic data acquisition and interpretation;
- Wireline log interpretation and Petrophysical analyses;
- Core analysis and Interpretation;
- Sedimentologic-Sequence Stratigraphic analysis;
- Geochemical and Biostratigraphic analysis;
- Exploration prospects and evaluation;
- Reservoir Exploration, appraisal and development;
- Technical and Economics of Petroleum Geosciences;
- Mineral Exploitation and Reserve Calculation;
- Reserve quality assessment;
- Mineral processing and Beneficiation techniques;
- Environmental Analyses;
- Feasibility studies of different construction projects;
- Erosion/gully assessment and control measure;
- Environmental impact assessment procedres;
- Waste management and Land use designs;
- Water resources evaluation and design of optimal exploitation strategies;
- General Geologic Mapping and map interpretation;
- Report Writing.
The oil and gas industry and their servicing companies are the greatest employers of Geology graduates in Nigeria.Â In more recent times, the Environmental Industry has significantly redced unemployment of Geology graduates by employing many in the Environmental sector. Other employers of Geology graduates include:
The Geological Survey Agency of the Federal Ministry of Solid Minerals, The Mining Corporation, and Engineering companies, The Federal Ministry of Water Resources,
The State Water Corporations, and Water drilling companies.