PAEDIATRIC ONCOLOGY MULTIDISCIPLINARY RESEARCH GROUP
The name of the group/team is Paediatric Oncology Multidisciplinary Research Group
The focus of the group’s research includes but not limited to molecular biological properties, tropical factors in aetiology, and challenges of managing paediatric solid tumors in Nigeria and other sub-Saharan African countries. The group will also look into the effects of environmental factors, nutrition, malaria endemicity, and delayed presentation on the behavior of these tumours. It is also our objective to evaluate the factors that affect response to and outcome of treatment, and to proffer possible solutions to treatment challenges.
Some Proposed Research Topics
- Effect of nutrition on the outcome of childhood lymphomas
- Clinical characteristics and biological markers of late presenting nephroblastomas
- Does the primary tumor size affect the outcome of paediatric intraabdominal solid tumor
Composition of the Group
- Coordinator: Dr. Sebastian O Ekenze (Sub-Department of Paediatric Surgery)
- Other Members: Dr. Anthony Ikefuna (Department of Paediatrics), Professor Ifeoma Emordi (Department of Paediatrics), Dr. Okechukwu Okafor (Department of Morbid Anatomy), and Dr, Christopher Amah (Sub-Department of Paediatric Surgery)
Brief Curriculum Vitae of Members
NAME: Dr. Sebastian Okwuchukwu Ekenze
POSITION: Senior Lecturer and Acting Head of Sub-Department of Paediatric Surgery
CONTACT DETAILS: Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medical Sciences, College of
BRIEF BIOGRAPHY: Born on Sunday May 21, 1967 at Owerri Imo State, Nigeria, I had primary and secondary education from 1972 to 1983. I obtained First School Leaving Certificate in 1978 and West African School Certificate in 1983. From 1983 to 1983, I had Undergraduate Medical Education at the University of Nigeria Nsukka/Enugu Campus and obtained MBBS in 1989. One-year internship and one-year National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) were undertaken in 1990/91 and 1991/92 respectively. This was followed by community service as a medical officer with Mater Christi Hospital, Orlu Imo State from 1993 to 1995. From 1995 to 2001, I undertook postgraduate medical education with the West African College of Surgeon and obtained fellowship of the College (FWACS) in October 2001. I was appointed a consultant Paediatric Surgeon by Federal Medical Centre Owerri from August 2002 to May 2005. From June 2005, I was appointed Lecturer-1 with the Sub-Department of Paediatric Surgery, College of Medicine, University of Nigeria. I was appointed Acting Head of Paediatric Surgery in 2006/07, a position I have held till date. I have more than 40 Publications in Peer-review Journals.
AREAS OF INTEREST/SUMMARY OF EXPERTISE:
- Surgical Education
- Neonatal Surgery
- Paediatric Oncological Surgery
- Paediatric Genitoplasty
- Paediatric gastrointestinal, Biliary, and Hepatic surgeries
- Intestinal atresias
- Undescended testes
- Paediatric Surgical Nutrition in low-resource setting
- Oesophageal Atresia
- Posterior Urethral Valve (interdisciplinary collaboration with paediatric Nephrology)
- Interventional Radiology for Paediatric surgical conditions (interdisciplinary collaboration with Radiology Department)
- Social Media and Surgical Education
- Potentially preventable renal failure in low-resource setting (interdisciplinary collaboration with paediatric Nephrology)
NAME: DR. OKECHUKWU CHARLES OKAFOR
DATE OF BIRTH: 1st August 1968
MAILING ADDRESS: 6 Olumo Crescent, Ogui New Layout. UNEC P.O. Box 15501. Enugu,
ELECTRONIC MAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
MARITAL STATUS: Single
PLACE OF BIRTH: Umuahia, Abia State
FOREIGN LANGUAGES: Spanish (spoken, written and read); Latin (reading only)
PRIMARY EDUCATION: University Primary School, Nsukka: 1974-79.
SECONDARY EDUCATION: Federal Government College, Enugu: 1979-84.
UNIVERSITY EDUCATION: University of Nigeria: 1984-90.
DEGREE QUALIFICATION: M.B.B.S.: July, 1990.
- University Hospital, University of Navarra. Pamplona, Spain: Histopathology (Anatomic Pathology). DAPath: March 1999.
- Fellowship of the National Postgraduate Medical College in the Faculty of Pathology (Morbid Anatomy). FMCPath: November 2002.
- Park Lane General Hospital, Enugu: Sept.1990-Dec.1990.
- University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital: Jan.1991-Sept.1991.
- Park Lane General Hospital, Enugu: Sept.1990 – Dec.1990. (Housemanship)
- University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu: Jan.1991 – Sept.1991. (Housemanship)
- Utagba-Uno Health Centre, Delta State: May 1992 – May 1993. (National Youth Service)
- University of Nigeria Medical Centre, Nsukka: March 1994 – March 1996. (General Practice)
- University Hospital, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain: March 1996 – March 1999. (Specialisation Programme)
- Niger Foundation Hospital, Enugu: June 1999 – March 2001 (Consultant Pathologist)
- Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital, Ile-Ife: April 2001 – November 2002 (Senior Registrar)
- University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu: Jan 2003 to date (Hospital Consultant Pathologist and University Senior Lecturer)