|Lagos May, 2019|
THE NIGERIAN ACADEMY OF SCIENCE
GOLD MEDAL PRIZE FOR SCIENCE
CALL FOR NOMINATION FOR YEAR 2019 PHYSICAL SCIENCES
We are pleased to call for nominations for the 2019 NAS Gold Medal Prize for Nigerian Scientists in the Physical Sciences
The Gold Medal Prize was instituted by the Nigerian Academy of Science (NAS) in 2016, to be awarded to deserving Nigerian scientists who have made significant achievements in science of national relevance and global resonance. The award is made annually, alternating between the Life and Physical Sciences, and consist of a Medal, a Certificate and a Purse. The 2019 award will be made in the Physical Sciences.
The public announcement of a winner or winners’ will be made in October 2019, and the prize giving ceremony will take place in January 2020
- Selection Criteria
Selection will be guided by the following criteria
- Candidates must have received a doctoral degree or its equivalent
- Active involvement in the field of research in the Physical Sciences
- Scientific excellence demonstrated through published works, patents, innovations, intellectual property rights of merit;
- Upright morality;
- Contribution to excellence in basic / fundamental or applied research, for work done predominantly in Nigeria with international resonance and potential applicability to global community;
- Outstanding, original, ground breaking achievements, widely accepted to contribute to the promotion and improvement of human condition through application of science
- Guidelines for Nomination
- The award is open to all Nigerian citizens within or outside the country (other than Fellows of the Nigerian Academy of Science);
- Any Nigerian citizen, including Fellows of the Nigerian Academy of Science, may nominate candidates;
- Each nomination must be made by at least two persons, one of whom is identified as the corresponding nominator whose biodata must accompany the nomination;
- Nominations shall be made strictly according to the nomination format prescribed below, submitting only one nomination form per person (the nomination format may be downloaded from NAS website)
- In addition to submitting the completed nomination form signed by the candidate and nominators, nominations must be accompanied by:
- A two-page curriculum vitae of nominee
- A complete list of candidate’s main publications
- Copies of 10 of the most important publications
- The prize is open to be awarded to a single individual or as a joint prize arising from the work of more than one person in the same fields of physical sciences
- Procedure for Nomination
- The call for nomination for Physical Sciences in year 2019 opens on the 1st of May, 2019 with a closing date on the 30th of June, 2019.
- Nominations are to be made electronically. The complete nomination package must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org Email subject should be “Entry for NAS Gold Medal Prize 2019” Preferred file format is *.pdf. Paper nominations will not be accepted.
- A nomination is not considered fully submitted until the corresponding nominator receives a confirmation e-mail from NAS; confirmation will be sent within 5 business days of receiving a nomination.
- Nominations must be emailed to email@example.com not later than 30th June, 2019.
- A public announcement of winner(s) will be made in October, 2019.
- Check list of Submissions
- Completed and signed nomination form
- Curriculum vitae of candidate (2 pages maximum)
- Copies of 10 most important publications
- Complete list of candidate’s publications
- Brief biodata of corresponding nominator