Nnamdi Azikiwe Library
The University of Nigeria, Nsukka Libraries consist of the Nnamdi Azikiwe library, the Enugu Campus Main Library and the Medical Library located at the College of Medicine, University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu. The Nnamdi Azikiwe Library which is the main University Library houses the Union Catalogue showing a core of all the holdings of the libraries in the system.
Visit Our Facebook Page
At the Universityâ€™s inception, the Owelle of Onitsha, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe donated 12,000 volumes of books. In 1962/63 the University library holdings had increased to 27,000 volumes with a seating capacity of 220 readers. Presently, the University Library System has about 735,157 volumes of books and about 99,760 bound volumes of journals.
The Nnamdi Azikiwe Library has a growing collection of publications by international bodies/organization such as:
- The United Nations;
- The Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) of the United Nation; and
- The United Nations Educational Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
The Library has also special collection documents published by the various governments of Nigeria as well as the Biafrana Collection (publications on the Nigeria Civil War) and African Collection (publications on Africa, about Africa and by Africans).
To become a world class centre of excellence in support of learning, teaching, research, and scholarship geared toward the restoration of the dignity of man.
- To evolve an ICT-driven world class academic and research library.To become an access point institution to global information resources and services in all subject fields.
- To create a Heritage Library consisting of conventional and digital resources of all published works of UNN scholars, and postgraduate theses and dissertations.
- To provide the most user-friendly environment for teaching, learning and research so that the University Library becomes the centre-piece of scholarly activities in the University system.
- To provide information services that is user-centred, user-friendly and instrumental to the advancement of teaching, learning, research and scholarship.
- To collaborate with Faculties in the common enterprise of knowledge generation, organization, preservation, and effective dissemination.
- To provide effective linkage mechanisms that enables the Libraryâ€™s clientele to access information in other knowledge institutions both locally and internationally.
ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE AND ADMINISTRATION
The Library Department is organized into Divisions. The various Divisions are organized into Sections. The various Divisions are depicted in the organogram below: