Orthopaedic and Trauma Research Group
Our Vision is To Promote Evidence-Based Medicine Through Well-Researched Scientific Studies.
- To advance, promote and disseminate qualitative research that will positively affect the care of orthopaedic trauma patients.
- To integrate the clinical and public health aspects of trauma research.
- To pioneer research in diagnostic approaches to musculoskeletal diseases encompassing molecular biology, immunochemistry and histochemistry.
- To engage in and provide leadership in orthopaedics and trauma research
- To provide research training relevant to orthopaedic surgery and traumatology.
- To facilitate the acquisition of competitive grants to support research in orthopaedics and traumatology.
Our focus shall be on researches on clinical management, basic sciences, pathology and epidemiology of orthopaedic and trauma conditions among Nigerians.
All members must have a strong interest in conducting collaborative orthopaedic trauma research.
All foundation members are full members; Subsequent membership will be based on these criteria:
- Publication in Thomson Reuters impact factor journal
- A practicing orthopaedic and trauma surgeon.
- A clinician or researcher with interest in orthopaedics and trauma research
- Acceptance of application by two-third majority of full members
All members constitute the research board
The research board approves a research after review before the research work is adopted by the research group
The research board shall be made up of a co-ordinator, secretary, treasurer and members.
The co-ordinator presides over the meetings of the board
Tenureship as co-ordinator, secretary or treasurer shall be for two years with the option of being re-appointed for one more tenure
Appointment as co-ordinator or secretary or treasurer shall be by nomination. In cases where more than one individual is nominated for a post, all members will indicate their choice by writing and the individual with the highest vote will occupy the position.
Role of Members:
Specific Role of Principal Researcher/Author
Any member will only be a principal researcher of a study if he develops the concept and design of the study
He/she shall coordinate the specific research work and periodically brief the research board on the progress of work
Authorship Is Subject To: Substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work; or the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data for the work; and drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual content.
- Dr Okey Onwuasoigwe (Coordinator)
Okechukwu Onwuasoigwe, MBBS, FWACS, FICS, MD, KGS, mni.
Academic Post: Senior Lecturer; Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery
Office Address: Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medical Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus, Enugu, Nigeria. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: +234 8037086727
Membership of Learned Societies
- Nigerian Orthopaedic Association. 1993-Date
2.International Society of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeons (SICOT), 2006-Date
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS) 2014-Date
- West African College of Surgeon 1994 –Date
- International College of Surgeons (Nigerian Section) 1996-Date
- Nigerian Surgical Research Society
- Nigerian Medical Association
- Alumni Association of the National Institute (AANI) 2004-Date
- Order of Knights of Good Shepherd, Anglican Diocese of Enugu. 2003-Date
- League of Anambra Professionals (LAP) 2005-Date
Investitures and Awards:
- Biographee of US Marquis WHO-IS-WHO in Science and Engineering. 2003
- Knight of the Good Shepherd, Anglican Communion 2003
- Best 10 Graduating Participants Award of NIPSS 2004
- Fellow of Institute of Strategic Management of Nigeria 2009
- Orthopedic infections and Diabetic foot diseases; (b) Reconstructive orthopedics and trauma.
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Dr Okechukwu Emmanuel Nwankwo
Nwankwo Okecukwu Emmanuel
Department Of Surgery
Date Of Birth: 10/ 10/ 54
Place Of Origin: Ezira, Orumba South Lga, Anambra State, Nigeria
Marital Status: Married With 5 Children
Postal Address: Department Of Surgery, College Of Medicine, University Of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Ituku-Ozalla, Enugu.
INSTITUTIONS ATTENDED AND QUALIFICATIONS:
St Clement’s Primary School, Ufuma 1961-1966, FSLC (Credit)
Christ the King College, Onitsha 1967-1973, WASC (Division 1)
University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus 1974-1980, MBBS
University of Ibadan 1982-1983, D. A. (Diploma in Anaesthesia)
National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria 1984-1997, FMCS (Ortho)
International College of Surgeons, 2002, FICS
West African Postgraduate Medical College, 2010, FWACS
1980-1981 General Hospital Onitsha, Housemanship
!981-1982 NYSC (Catholic Hospital, Oluyoro,Ibadan), Medical Officer
1982-1983 University College Hospital (UCH) Ibadan, Senior Houseofficer (Anaesthesia Dept)
1983-1984 National Orthopaedic Hospital, Enugu Registrar in Anaesthesia
1984-1998 University of Nigeria Teaching Hosp/National Orthopedic Hospital, Residency in Orthopaedic Surgery
1998-2001 Dept of Surgery, College of Medicine, University of Nigeria, Lecturer I
October 2001-Till Date, Dept of Surgery College of Medicine UNEC, Senior Lecturer
August 2008-2011, Head, Dept of Surgery, College of Medicine, University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus (UNEC)
1998-Till Date, Honorary Consultant Orthopaedic/Trauma Surgeon, University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital (UNTH), Enugu.
Member Nigerian Orthopaedic Association
Member West African Orthopaedic Association
Member Medical and Dental Association of Nigeria
Member Nigerian Medical Association
Member Association of Surgeons of Nigeria
Traumatlogy with special interest in spinal injury
27 publications in peer-reviewed journals; Editor of published Surgery textbook.
- Dr Ndubuisi Onu Chukwueloka Onyemaechi
Date of Birth: 19th December, 1974
Contact Address: Department Of Surgery
University Of Nigeria Teaching Hospital
Phone Number: +234 (0) 803-550-4767
Academic Qualification, Schools Attended & Dates:
- Bachelor of Medicine University Of Nigeria 1998
Bachelor of Surgery (MB.BS)
- Final Fellowship West African College Of 2008
- Fellowship in Paediatric University of Hong Kong 2010
- Honorary Clinical Associate University of Hong Kong 2010
- Master of Science (Anatomy) University of Nigeria 2014
- AO Trauma Fellowship Medical University of Graz, 2012
- SICOT Fellowship Klinikum Neumarkt Germany 2013
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon Federal Medical Centre Makurdi 2009-2012
- Associate Lecturer College of Health Sciences, Benue State University 2010-2013
Makurdi, Benue State
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon UNTH Ituku Ozalla Enugu 2012-Date
Research Intertests: Trauma, Reconstructive orthopaedics, Paediatric Orthopaedics, Arthroplasty, Surgical infections.
Academic Publications: 19 Publications In Peer-Review Journals