MARINE and COASTAL STUDIES
Focus: Survey, monitoring and modeling maritime processes along the Nigerian coastal waters and estuaries.
The research group will aim at addressing the numerous challenges in the field of Marine and Oceonagraphic activities in Nigeria and subsequently make Nigeria more visible on the global information map of coastal nations. Research will include but not limited to Study of tides, ocean waves, sea level fluctuations, Determination and correlation of Chart Datum at different tidal stations along the Nigerian coastline and estuaries and evaluation of near-shore sea bed topography.
The immense benefits which will be derived from the output of the research include the following:
- Determination of mean sea level (MSL) at the various tidal ports and derivation of the slope of MSL along the coastline.
- Provision of data for seamless navigation across the coast (east to west) and estuaries and thereby reduce the danger of vessel grounding in maritime voyage.
- Determination of the Nigerian maritime baseline and consequently the determination of the maritime boundaries.
- Provision of data for strategic planning of operations for the several and government bodies involved in activities within the marine environment..
- Provide data needed by coastal engineers for design of coastal defense systems.
- Evaluate coastline mobility or coastal instability which is needed as veritable tool for Coastal Zone managers.
- Harnessing renewable energy for power generation from Astronomic tides and sea waves.
The above research forms extensive and multidisciplinary field of study and focuses on virgin areas which have hitherto received little or no attention in Nigeria. It will therefore be executed in phases as dictated by available resources.
Research Group Coordinator: Oliver Chinagorom Ojinnaka. Professor of Hydrography
Dept. of Geoinformatics and Surveying, U.N.E.C
Email: email@example.com PHONE: 234-7031323460, 08055640174
PH.D Surveying and Hydrography, University of Nigeria
- G. (CNAA) DIPLOMA Hydrographic Surveying, Plymouth Poly.UK.,
M.Sc in Engineering Surveying, UNN
B.Sc Surveying. UNN (2nd class honours, Upper Division),
Registered Surveyor, Surveyors Council of Nigeria (SURCON).
Specialised in Hydrographic and Engineering Survey.
- Consultant to many companies on numerous aspects of Hydrographic and Tidal projects. Companies include Esotoria consult (Nig) ltd. Enugu, Geomarine Services Nig Ltd. PH, Nigerian Navy Hydrographic Office, Kariela Surveys Nig. Ltd PH. etc.
- Development of Tidal prediction software and Nigeria Tide tables for Nigerian Navy and for academic research- University of Nigeria Tide Analysis and Prediction Programme (UNITAPP). Software and table currently used across the country in academic, government and private institutions for research and practice.
- Consulted on, and executed projects on gully Erosion.
- Directed and supervised several Projects on Erosion Studies in tidal and non-tidal rivers.
Members of the Research Group include:
Dr. Elochukwu C. Moka: Senior lecturer, Dept. of Geoinformatics and Surveying,
UNEC. firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Ph.D. Geodesy & Geodymanics, UNN.
M.Sc. Geodesy / Astronomy, UNN
B.Sc. (Hons) Surveying, Geodesy & Photogrammetry, (2nd Class Upper Division) with four Certificates of Merits, UNN.
Registered Surveyor of Surveyors Council of Nigeria (SURCON).
Specialised in Geodesy and Geodynamics.
Experience in oil pipeline route surveys (Huntings Surveys Ltd), Cadastral and Control Surveys, Erosion Control Surveys and studies, National Agricultural Land Development Authority (NALDA) Project, Computer-based quality Control network Analysis including GPS network. Gravity Network Establishment, Geoid Determination, Etc.
Dr. Raphael N. Ndukwu Senior lecturer, Dept. of Geoinformatics and Surveying,
PhD in Geoinformatics (GIS)
Master of Science in Geodesy and Geodynamics. UNN
B.Sc. Surveying, Geodesy and Photogrammetry. UNN
- Dip. Computer Science and Engineering, Enugu State Uni.of Science and Tech., Enugu.
- Dip. GIS, Federal School of Surveying Oyo, Oyo State.
Proficient in the use of several software including Google Earth, KML, Erdas Imagine, GPS, GRASS, ArcGIS, ILWIS, MapServer (Open Source), MapBender, ArcObject , IDRISI GeoServer, SPSS, SUFFER (Surface analysis), kelodograph, Dream Weaver MX, MacroMedia etc.
Served as consultant in several projects requiring application of the above software packages.
Mr. Maduako I. D. Nnamdi. Lecturer II, Dept of Geoinformatics and Surveying, UNEC.
- Sc Geospatial Technologies (Distinction), (Germany, Spain, Portugal)
- Sc Geoinformatics and Surveying( First-Class Honours ), UNN.
Diploma, VB, JAVA and Python Programming, Enugu.
Certificate in Oracle and Postgres/PostGIS Spatial Database Management System,
Certificate in Multimedia GIS Training. USA Online.
Specialist in Geospatial Technology.
Working/consulting experiences with Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies and Mapping (CAST-MP), Abuja. National Telecommunication Commission of Nigeria, OFFICE OF SURVEYOR GENERAL OF THE FEDERATION (OSGOF), GIS and Mapping firms, National Space Research And Development Agency ( NASRDA),
Proficient in the programming and application of several software such as ARCGIS, ERDAS IMAGINE, ENVI, IDRISI, ECOGNITION, GEOMEDIA, GOOGLE SKETCH-UP, AUTODESK SOFTWARE, GOOGLE EARTH AND GOOGLE FUSION TABLE API, etc
Mr. Amos Ugwuoti: lecturer II, Dept of Geoinformatics and Surveying, UNEC.
PH.D student, UNN, M.Sc. Hydrographic Surveying, B.Sc. Geoinformatics &Surveying, University of Nigeria Nsukka
Working experience with Enugu State Ministry of Works, Enugu Stateand LEMNA Nig. L.td Akwa Ibom State.
Good in use of Computer application with proficiency in Auto Cad.
Prof. Oliver C. Ojinnaka
Dept. of Geoinformatics and Surveying