HEALTH LAW AND POLICY (HLP) RESEARCH GROUP
RESEARCH FOCUS: Health Law and Policy (HLP) Research Group would focus on the review/analysis of national and international regulations and policies on healthcare; developing appropriate regulations and policies in the sector in line with international best practices; study the relationship between law, medicine, ethics and how they affect the Nigerian society.
PROPOSED RESEARCH TOPICS
1. “Right to Healthcare: Are there missing links in the practice of law and medicine in Nigeria?”
2. “Re- assessing the human cost of medical negligence on Nigeria.”
3. “Is the concept of consent understood and applied in practice in Nigerian.”
4. “Examining international principles of cloning, Nano technology and, artificial reproductive technique (ART): Advancing the rights of medical research for Nigeria.”
5. “Cultivating efficiency through the legal framework for National Health Insurance Scheme in Nigeria.”
6. “Empirical studies on the effects of industrial actions on the operation of the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) in Nigeria”
7. “Achieving the Millennium Development Goal (MDGs) with the National Health Act and National Health Insurance Scheme in Nigeria.”
8. “Can we enhance job creation and better health service delivery through the National Health Act and National Health Insurance Scheme in Nigeria?”
COMPOSITION OF THE GROUP
1. Dr. Okechukwu Timothy Umahi-Coordinator
2. Dr. Miriam C. Anozie
3. Dr. Obiajulu Nnamuchi
4. Mr. Festus O. Ukwueze
5. Mrs. Uju Obuka
6. Miss. Millicent Ele
THE GROUP BRIEF PROFILE
1. Dr. Okechukwu Timothy Umahi, LL.B. (Hons) (ESUT), BL, LL.M. Maritime Law (LASU), LL.M Intellectual Property Law (Manchester), PhD Intellectual Property Law (Manchester), B.Sc./Edu. Geography/Education (Nig.), PGD. Marketing (Nig.), M.Sc. Public Relations (Nig.).
Email: email@example.com; Phone Number 07030648141
Research Interest: Health law and policy, the impact of intellectual property law on access to drugs, healthcare, innovation and developing countries and financial regulation for developing economies.
2. Dr. Miriam C. Anozie, LL.B. (Hons) (ABU), BL, LL.M. (ABU), Ph.D. (Nig.)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone Number: 08052402975
Research Interest: Health Law and Policy, Constitutional Law and Human Rights.
3. Dr. Obiajulu Nnamuchi, LL.B. (Hons) (Awka), LL.M., Human Rights (Notre Dame), LL.M., Health Law & Policy (Toronto), LL.M., International Law (Lund), M.A., Bioethics & Medical Humanities (Louisville), S.J.D., Health Law & Policy (Loyola, Chicago).
Email: email@example.com; Phone Number: 08103941794
Research Interest: human rights, health law and policy, medical law/ethics, and moral philosophy.
4. Mr. Festus O. Ukwueze, LL.B. (Hons) (Nig.), BL, LL.M.(Nig.)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone Number: 08063963892
Research Interest: consumer rights, health law and policy, food and drugs regulation, consumer access to healthcare services, drugs and pharmaceutical products.
5. Mrs. Uju Obuka, LL.B. (Hons) (Nig.), BL, LL.M.(Nig.).
Email: email@example.com; Phone Number: 08033280467
Research Interest: Electronic commerce, Family law and succession to property.
6. Miss. Millicent Ele, LL.B. (Hons) (Nig.), BL, LL.M. (Columbia Law School, New York, USA), B.Ed. (Hons) Zoology/Botany, (UI), M.Ed. Admin (Nig.).
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone Number: 07011961603
Research Interest: interdisciplinary legal research at the cross roads of environmental law and energy, public/global health law, international law and medical jurisprudence, as well as intellectual property law with focus on pharmaceutical patent and access to medicine.