UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, NSUKKA
SCHOOL OF POSTGRADUATE STUDIES
POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES ADVERT 2017/2018
The University of Nigeria, Nsukka invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for admission into postgraduate programmes leading to the award of Postgraduate Diplomas, Master’s and Doctorate degrees in various Faculties and in the areas of specialization indicated under each Department/Institute/Centre as follows for the 2017/2018 academic session:
GENERAL ENTRY QUALIFICATIONS FOR POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES
- Candidates for admission into any postgraduate programme of the University must have obtained 5 credits at not more than two sittings in WASC or GCE or NECO or NABTEB including English Language. Candidates shall also possess the minimum entry requirements for admission into the first degree and postgraduate programmes in their areas of interest for postgraduate studies.
- Graduates of the University of Nigeria or other recognized Universities who possess the above qualifications are eligible to apply.
- For the PGD in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Architecture, only candidates with University degrees in relevant areas need apply.
- POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES
- i) Graduates of the University of Nigeria or other recognized universities who have obtained a degree of bachelor with at least a third class honours with GPA not less than 2.00 on 5-point or its equivalent.
- ii) Holders of Credit (Upper credit) level passes at HND or its equivalent in
relevant areas (for programmes in the Faculties of Agriculture and Business Administration; the Departments of Political Science, Public Administration & Local Government; and Vocational Teacher Education; and for Postgraduate Diploma in Electoral Administration Programme). Qualifications such as AIB, ACCA, ACMA, ICAN, BEEC, CPA, etc may also be considered for admission.
iii) Candidates with professional qualifications including HND must have obtained 5 credits in WASC or GCE O/L including English and Mathematics for admission into degree courses in Business Administration.
- iv) For Postgraduate Diploma in Geoinformatics & Surveying in particular, candidates with third class honours degrees in Geography, Geology and other Physical Sciences, HND Upper Credit level passes in related fields, are also eligible.
Candidates, who hold qualifications other than the above which are acceptable to the Board of the School of Postgraduate Studies and Senate of the University, may also be considered for admission.
DURATION OF COURSES
- Postgraduate Diploma (Regular) – Two semesters
- Postgraduate Diploma (Sandwich) – Three Long Vacations
- Master’s degree (Regular) :
- A minimum of 3 semesters for full-time and 5 Semesters for part-time in all Departments/Faculties except for the Departments/Faculties listed in c(ii) below.
- A minimum of 4 semesters for Full-time and 6 semesters for part-time for the following Departments/Faculties: Sociology, Psychology, Public Administration and Local Government (PALG), Agriculture, Veterinary Medicine, Education and Business Administration.
- Ed. (Sandwich) – three long vacations.
- D. degree Programme – A minimum of six semester for full time and eight semesters for part time in all Faculties except Agriculture which is four semesters for full time and six semesters for part time. (Ph.D. is not run as a Sandwich programme).
Candidates are expected to complete their programmes at the minimum duration but not to exceed the maximum. (See: Postgraduate Regulations).
For Regular/Sandwich programme, Postgraduate Diploma, Master’s and Doctorate degree programmes, candidates are considered for admission once in a session. Regular students are expected to register their postgraduate courses within four weeks from the commencement of the session. Candidates admitted for sandwich programmes are expected to register not later than two weeks from the commencement of the sandwich session.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Application Forms can be obtained ONLINE on payment of a non-refundable fee of N25,000.00 (Twenty five thousand naira only) made payable to “The University of Nigeria Postgraduate Application Fees Account, at any bank within the country using the Remita platform.
Applicants should log on to www.unn.edu.ng and follow the procedures stated below:
- Click on UNN Portal or through this link unnportal.unn.edu.ng.
- Click on PG Application form to generate invoice for payment.
- Use your phone number to generate the invoice. You are advised to use a functional number to enable us reach you for the admission screening test.
- Proceed to any Bank with Remita platform for payment.
- Return to the UNN Portal with your payment confirmation pin from the Bank and follow the procedure for completing the form.
Candidates should download three (3) copies of the referee report (D1) forms after completing preliminary and personal details online. Some details on the form would be inserted automatically with the information provided by the candidate online while the remaining information should be completed by the referee manually and returned to the candidate who will enclose it in sealed envelope for submission. Please note that applications would not be processed unless the referees’ reports are available.
Candidate should download transcript request forms (D2) also provided online, and submit to their former Universities/Institutions to forward with a copy of Academic transcript(s) to “The Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies, University of Nigeria, Nsukka” to reach him/her not later than 30th July. Candidates whose transcripts are not received on or before the deadline by the School would not have their application forms processed.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION FORMS
Most information required would be completed online. However, a copy of the online completed application form should be downloaded and printed. The printed application form with the relevant documents as listed below should be posted or delivered to the Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, for Nsukka based faculties. Candidates for Enugu based faculties are to submit their application forms by post or delivered to: The PAR, School of Postgraduate Unit, University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus. For ease of reference, Enugu based faculties are: Business Administration; Environmental Studies; Health Sciences & Technology; Medical Sciences; Institute for Development Studies (IDS) and Centre for Environmental Management & Control (CEMAC). Candidates are advised to ensure that the following documents are enclosed in the file:
- NYSC Certificates (Discharge or Exemption or exclusion Certificate). Note that To Whom It May Concern shall not be accepted.
- Two copies of the Application summary form (D3) available online should be downloaded & printed:
- (i) One copy of the printed summary form (D3) should be glued very neatly (NOT STAPLED) on a brown 10” X 15” envelope;
- (ii) The second copy of the printed summary form (D3) should be glued very neatly (NOT STAPLED) on a white 9” X 13” file Jacket;
- All accompanying documents should be placed in the file Jacket, specified in (c.ii) and the File Jacket should be placed in brown envelope as specified in (c.i.) above.
All documents must fit into the 10” X 15” envelope and delivered or addressed and sent by courier to “The Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies, University of Nigeria, Nsukka”.
Application starts from the date of this advertisement and closes on 15 July, 2017.
** IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS**
- All applicants shall undergo computer based Postgraduate Admission Screening Test.
- Check out for information on screening processes via the UNN Website: unn.edu.ng or www.spgs.unn.edu.ng from July to August after submitting the completed application form.
- Date o the Screening Test: July 28-29, 2017.
NOTE: For Ph.D. degree programme, a candidate must obtain at least an acceptance letter from a journal certified by the University of Nigeria, Nsukka as a condition for graduation.
This Advert supersedes the earlier one published for the 2017/2018 academic session.
School of Postgraduate Studies