Professor Michael Ifeanyi Uguru was born on December 22, 1956 in Umunede, Ika North East Local Government Area of Delta state. He started his career in the University of Nigeria, Nsukka on September 30, 1979. He obtained the Bachelor of Agriculture Degree (FIRST CLASS HONOURS) in 1984; enrolled for the Master of Science Degree in 1985 and finished in 1987. He was admitted for PGDip in Irrigation Engineering in Catholic University Leuven, Belgium in 1987, a programme he successfully completed in 1988. As soon as he returned to Nigeria, he enrolled for a PhD degree which he completed in 1990. Professor Uguru was employed in the University of Nigeria as a Graduate Assistant in 1986 and he rose to the rank of a professor in 2004. He is a professor of Plant Breeding, Genetics and Biotechnology.
In the University, Professor Uguru has made discernable landmarks in research and development having led the University of Nigeria Research team to win laurels three consecutive times from 2008 to 2012. He was the chairman of the committee that developed the first functional Research Policy for University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
In the Nsukka community, He has been engaged in capacity building through training of youths on Market gardening and production of high premium elite crops like lettuce, carrot and cabbage which Nigerians have ignorantly zoned to Jos and some nothern parts of Nigeria.
He was employed as a Graduate Assistant by the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in 1986 and rose to the rank of a professor in 2004. Professor Uguru has two books and One Hundred and eight journal publications to his credit.
He has recieved numerous academic awards among which are
• Federal Government Undergraduate merit award (1981-1984).
• Faculty of Agriculture Prize Winner for the Best Graduating Student (June 1984)
• Department of Crop Science Prize Winner for the Best Graduating Student (June 1984).
• State Chairmanship’s Honours Award of Cross River State for Excellent Performance in the 1984/85 National Youth Service Year.
• Vice Chancellor’s Postgraduate Research Prize Winner (FIRST PRIZE) (1990).
• Faculty of Agriculture Postgraduate Research Prize Winner (1990).
• First Prize in Science Research in the 2008 Nigerian Universities Research and Development Fair.
• First Prize in Agriculture Research in the 2010 Nigerian Universities Research and Development Fair.
• First Prize in Development in Agriculture in the 2012 Nigerian Universities Research and Development Fair
• First Prize Vice Chancellor’s Research Leadership Award 2011/2012 Session.