Featured image - defaultz




















S/NO                 TITLE                                                                                             PAGE


  1. Title and definition
  2. Effective date
  3. Senior Staff Housing Committee
  4. Form for application
  5. Eligibility
  6. Effective date for computing points
  7. Points                      2
  8. Inter-campus transfer
  9. Married couple entitlement
  10. Single parents
  11. Celibate staff
  12. When staff living on campus may change accommodation
  13. Vacating/Occupying quarters
  14. Authority to allocate and occupy
  15. Categorization of houses and eligibility to house types
  16. Allocable houses
  17. Conditions of occupancy
  18. Checking in and out
  19. Study leave/Secondment
  20. Lapse of allocation
  21. Withdrawal of allocation
  22. Penalty and Surcharge
  23. Maintenance and right of inspection
  24. Sub-Committee on environmental cleanliness
  25. Amendment
  26. Interpretation



research line




                        UNIVERSITY F NIGERIA, NSUKKA






These regulations are meant to define the method of allocation of Senior Staff houses, the conditions for the occupation of such houses and maintenance of the quarters and shall be known as the Revised Senior Staff Housing Regulations, 1998.



The Revised Regulations shall come into effect on 9th June, 1998, and shall thenceforth apply to all senior staff of the University subject to Council directives, in the matter of housing. Irrespective of the effective date specified above, these regulations shall also apply to those who have lodged applications for allocation of quarters or change of accommodation.



There shall be a Senior Staff Housing Committee constituted by the Vice-Chancellor and Chief Executive according to the regulations of the University.

  • It shall be the duty of this Committee to operate these regulations.
  • The Committee shall have regular meetings on quarterly basis and emergency meetings as the need arises.
  • It shall be the duty of this Committee to inspect, maintain, and allocate houses to deserving staff.
  • The Committee shall ensure that money realized from rents and other sources is used for regular maintenance of the existing houses and construction of new ones or modification of existing ones as the case may be.
  • There shall be special account into which all rent proceeds and other monies for the purposes of maintenance and construction of houses shall be paid. Rent deductions from staff shall be paid into this account at the end of each month.






Application for allocation of a house shall be made on the prescribed forms:

SSH Form A for Initial Allocation/Re-allocation, and SSH Form B for Change

of Accommodation.



Only senior staff of the University on UASS 3/EUSS 9 and above are entitled to allocation.



The effective dates for computing points, whether for initial allocation or for change of accommodation, is the date of assumption of duty in the University.



Points would be scored on the following basis:

  • Rank/Grade Level
  • Marital Status
  • Number of Children, and
  • Length of Service including merged services.


  • Rank/Grade Level

Professor or equivalent                 UASS 7/ EUSS 15:         50 points

Reader or equivalent                     UASS 6/ EUSS 14:         40 points

Senior Lecturer or equivalent      UASS 5/ EUSS 13:         35 points

Lecturer 1 or equivalent               UASS 4/ EUSS 11-12:   30 points

Lecturer 11 or equivalent             UASS 3/ EUSS 9-10:     25 points


  • Points for being Married

All married applicant shall earn 10 points each and 15 points where both are serving staff of the University. Spouses shall be allowed to complete forms for housing independently and where one gets a house, the other drops from the queue.


  • Children

Children not older than 25 years shall earn two (2) points per child up to a maximum of five (5) children.




  • Length of Service including merged services

Two (2) points for every completed year up to a maximum of twenty (20) years unbroken service to the University


  • Cases of Tie in points

When two or more applicants for accommodation tie in points, the first to be appointed or promoted to the substantive post will be given preference. If the appointment/promotion dates are the same, the one on higher salary level shall be given preference. If either of the above does not resolve the issue, the one first appointed senior staff will be given preference.



Staff who is transferred from one campus of the University to another shall be given preference in housing after he/she must have duly applied for accommodation. Where there is no house appropriate to his/her rank, such staff shall be housed as soon as one becomes available, provided, however, that immediately prior to his/her transfer, the staff was living in University quarters.


  • Married couple who are both senior staff are entitled to only one house except when they have to work at different campuses not out of their own choice. In the later case, points for children shall be awarded in such a way that, taken together, the couple do not get points for more than five (5) children.
  • If the couple are both senior staff and occupy a house appropriate to the status of the one of higher, the lower ranking spouse will retain the house if he/she qualifies for senior staff housing, even though the one to whom the house was originally allocated has left the service the University. However, as soon as the Committee allocates a house appropriate to the rank of the staff still serving, he/she shall vacate the house previously occupied or, failing that, forfeit both the present house and the new allocation.
  • No person who is not a senior staff shall be entitled to a senior staff house in his/her own right. Thus, if a husband or wife who is a senior staff leaves the services of the University permanently, the spouse who is not a senior staff, even though he/she may be employed by the University, must vacate the quarters within three months, or, in case of death, within one year of receiving his/her final entitlement.



Without prejudice to section 9(c) of this Housing Regulations, at the expiration of the appropriate period of grace stipulated in the Regulations, the Committee may provide accommodation, if available, for members of staff who become single parents (including widows and widowers).



Without prejudice to the point system, the Committee may allocate quarters, if available, to   celibates (priests, etc)



Staff living on-campus shall only qualify for a change of accommodation when his/her status changes or where he/she is living in a house that is bellow his/her status.

Application for change of accommodation shall ordinarily not be entertained unless:

  1. The staff has occupied his/her present quarters on-campus for at least five (5) years;
  2. The staff is promoted so that his/her new rank entitles him/her to a larger accommodation;
  3. The staff’s present house is certified by the Director of Works Services as being uninhabitable;
  4. On medical grounds



Staff vacating their houses shall ensure that the houses were left with all permanent fixtures.

Before issuing a letter of allocation for change of accommodation, the house being vacated shall be jointly inspected by the accommodation section of Works Department, a Representative of the Chief Security Officer, Secretary, Senior Staff Housing Committee, and a Representative of the staff union concerned; all permanent fixtures must be certified complete and the house also confirmed not to have been run down by its occupant. Staff who had run down his/her house beyond normal wear and tear would in spite of his/her possible high position by points, put the house in good enough condition for another occupant or loose his/her allocation.





No person shall occupy a house unless the house is duly allocated to him/her by the Committee or the Chairman or any other person acting on the authority of the Committee. In cases of allocations by the Chairman, which are expected to be few and far between and must be based on very urgent reasons, such allocations must be deemed to be temporary until reported to the Committee at its next meeting for approval.


  • Houses are categorized and matched with ranks and on the basis of need as follows:


Grade or Rank                                         House type(s) entitled to

  • UASS 3/EUSS 9-10                                2BF, 3BF, 2BB (MS), 3BB (Type A)
  • UASS 4/EUSS 11-12                              2BB(ML), 3BB(Type B)
  • UASS 5/ EUSS 13             2BB+S (New Type), 3BB (Type B)
  • UASS 6-7/EUSS 14-15 3BB+S, Storey house/Duplex
  • Principal Officers                              Post Houses.


  • If circumstances warrant, the Committee may allocate to a staff member, either temporarily or permanently, a house that is above or below his/her entitlement, on campus. No person shall retain more than one house at a time.



The committee shall not allocate a house unless it has been handed over to it for allocation, and is vacant and certified fit for occupation.



On allocation of accommodation, the staff must indicate in writing, his/her willingness to abide by the University Regulations on Housing and his/her acceptance of the following conditions:

  • To use the premises for residential purposes only. For any non-residential use of the premises, the occupant must obtain a prior permission from the Vice-Chancellor through the Committee;
  • Not to sub-let/lease his/her premises or part thereof for economic reasons;
  • To pay the appropriate rent in respect of the house occupied by equal monthly instalments deductible from monthly salary at source;
  • To use the premises in a proper and tenant-like manner;
  • To submit to a surcharge for any losses, damages and /or wastes arising from misuse of the premises, normal wear and tear expected;
  • Not to carry out any alterations to the structure without the prior consent of the Director of Works Services; and the Chairman, Senior Staff Housing Committee;
  • Not to erect any structure within the premises without the prior consent of the Committee;
  • Not to mount, deposit or erect kiosks, or other structures in a manner that can detract from the aesthetic quality of the premises;
  • Not to do anything that will aid flooding and erosion or which will impede drainage;
  • Not to use coal, wood or other solid fuel in the main house or outside, within the compound, except where the right provision has been made for the use of such fuel;
  • Not to interfere with the maintenance of the buildings, boundary fences and hedges, or with provision of service and the servicing of facilities in the premises;
  • To allow the staff of Works Services or Security Department and officials of any unit of the University acting on behalf of the Committee to inspect the premises from time to time, at any reasonable time;
  • Not to carry on any illegal or immoral activities in the premises;
  • Not to create or harbour nuisance;
  • Not to harbour undesirable person(s);
  • To pay all electricity and telephone bills consumed by him/her in the premises, and to obtain clearance certificate of paid-up final bills from NEPA and NITEL as applicable when finally vacating the house;
  • Not to vacate the premises until properly checked out as stipulated in these Regulations.



Staff allocated any University Senior Staff quarters must not move into the premises except they have formally been checked in. Thus, such staff are advised to get in touch with:

  • Representatives of the Director of Works Services
  • Representatives of the Acting Controller, Personnel Services and Member/Secretary, SSHC (SSHC Secretariat Staff)
  • Representatives of the Chief Security Officer.


During checking in, an inventory of fixtures shall be compiled and signed by staff/occupant as well as the representatives of the officers indicated in (i-iii) above. Five copies of the list of inventory will be produced and distributed as follows:

  • Representatives of the Director of Works Services (Accommodation Unit) one copy
  • Representatives of the Acting Controller, Personnel Services and Member/Secretary, SSHC- one copy
  • Representatives of the Chief Security Officer – one copy
  • Staff/Occupant – one copy
  • One copy will be left in the house.


The inventory will be used in checking out the staff and will also involve representatives of the Officers indicated above.


Any losses or damage outside the normal wear and tear, shall be costed by the Representative of the Director, Works Services in liaison with Representatives of the Acting Controller, Personnel Services and Member/Secretary, Senior Staff Housing Committee and the estimates submitted to the Bursar through the Chairman of the Senior Staff Housing Committee for purposes of surcharge.


  • Staff proceeding on an approved study leave with or without pay / sabbatical leave may retain his/her quarters for the duration of the approved leave, paying the appropriate rent.
  • A member of staff on approved Secondment/National Service may, if he/she wishes, retain his or her/her house for a maximum of four years paying the appropriate rent.
  • A member of staff who has been granted a leave of absence for a personal/private purpose shall vacate any University quarters occupied by him/her within one year and should pay the appropriate rent for the period. (The staff shall be ejected) if the provisions of this regulation is violated.
  • If a staff on an approved study leave with or without pay stays longer than the approved period and the spouse is:
  • A senior staff of the University, the provision of paragraph 9(b) should apply.
  • A junior staff of the University, the spouse may retain the quarters for a maximum of eighteen (18) months, paying the appropriate rent.
  • Not in the service of the University, the spouse shall vacate the quarters at the end of twelve (12) months.



An allocation shall lapse:

  • If the applicant fails to move into the allocated house within one month of the formal notification of the allocation, provided the house is available for occupation; and
  • If a staff is relieved of his/her appointment by dismissal, termination or forced retirement from office.

In the later case, the staff shall be given not less than one month notice in writing to quit the house or be ejected.



The Committee reserves the right to withdraw an allocation, after consultation with Vice-Chancellor, and ask an occupant to vacate the University quarters if, in the considered opinion of the Committee, such an occupant has grossly and consistently misused the quarters.



A staff who fails to vacate a house when he/she is officially expected to do so, or packs out of the house without the checking out process leading to the return of the keys to the Director of Works Services, shall pay a penalty of N450.00 per day of default for a duplex, N350.00 per day of default for a bungalow, and N250.00 per day of default for a flat. Any losses or damage outside the normal wear and tear, as determined by the Director of Works Services or his representative in liaison with Acting Controller, Personnel Services and Member/Secretary, Senior Staff Housing Committee or her representative shall be made good by the occupant.



An occupant of a University house is expected to ensure proper use and care of the quarters and to observe a high standard of sanitation at all times. The Committee shall undertake regular inspection of staff quarters in conjunction with staff of the Department of Works Services every semester for purpose of:

  • Ensuring proper use and maintenance of the quarters by staff;
  • Recommending critical repairs that must be done to the quarters.


       The Committee shall draw the attention of the occupant to any observed misuse. Where it is found necessary, an occupant shall be surcharged, while in occupation, for the cost of cleaning or effecting repairs considered necessary for good public health or the upkeep of the house.



The Committee’s work referred to in Section 23 shall be done by Sub-Committee on environmental cleanliness. The Sub-Committees shall report to SSHC any observed damage or shortcomings beyond the normal wear and tear for appropriate action.



These regulations may be amended from time to time by SSHC.



In these Regulations:

SSHC: means Senior Staff Housing Committee


Staff:  means a senior staff of the University of Nigeria, subject to paragraph 5 above


House: means any housing unit normally allocated to a senior staff and may have the same meaning as premises


Premises: means a house and its appurtenances (e.g. grounds and out-buildings)


      Quarters: means the same thing as a house or premise


Study Leave: means leave granted to members of the upper grade level or  senior staff on regular appointment for the purpose of engaging in study and/or research either for the acquisition of higher degrees or professional or for the intellectual development of the individual.


Secondment: means the temporary release of an officer to the Government or to an approved body for a specified period, normally not exceeding three (3) years in the first instance, at the request of either the member of staff concerned or the relevant public service


Sabbatical Leave: means time off from normal duties in the University of one academic year duration granted to regular academic staff of the University after six years of continuous service in the University in order to enable such staff undertake new lines of research or study in their special areas or profession without the normal encroachment of their regular employment.


Leave of Absence: means all forms of leave other than study leave, Secondment and Sabbatical Leave authorized by the relevant University organ.


Unbroken Services: means that staff has at no time withdrawn his service from the University through resignation or voluntary retirement.


2BB(MS): means the small old type of two-bedroom bungalow built by Micheletti as found along Fulton, Ikejiani, and Marguerite Cartwright Avenues.


2BB(ML): means the large old type of two-bedroom bungalow built by Micheletti as found along Fulton, Ikejiani, and Marguerite Cartwright Avenues,


3BB Type A: means the small three-bedroom bungalow as found at the beginning of Fulton and Ikejiani Avenues and along Zik’s Drive.


3BB Type B: means the large three-bedroom bungalow of all types.