CALL FOR PROPOSALS: ACTION-ORIENTED RESEARCH ON CLIMATE CHANGE ADAPTATION IN NIGERIA
The ACCAI-UNN with the support of the OSF calls for proposals to conduct action-oriented research at the grassroots (community level) and policy levels (state and federal). As obvious from the above, proposals are expected to embody action-oriented (practical or leading to practice) and or policy issues. The ACCAI during its first phase activities and engagements has been able to identify thematic areas and issues on which the envisaged research would be anchored. These areas/issues include: agriculture and food security; climate change and water resources; climate change and energy; engineering and technology; climate change adaptation and poverty; and climate change adaptation and infrastructure.
The study resulting from the proposals would be policy oriented and focus on problem solving whether at the community (local), state or national levels and should thus involve surveys and or laboratory designs. The proposals should inter alia address the following questions/concerns: existence and types of climate change adaptation policy/strategies; nature and degree of implementation of policies and strategies; factors/challenges in the process of implementation or adaptation; responsiveness of policy to felt-needs of communities; innovative approaches for engaging with local communities in climate change adaptation.
- The study is expected to cover the six ecological zones in Nigeria. Hence, at least one proposal would be funded for each of the zones whether represented by a community or a state.
- Proposals would be welcomed from both experts (scholars, practitioners, activists) and MSc/PhD students who are specializing in climate change, environment or allied areas in the sciences, social sciences, agriculture and engineering so long as their focus tallies with the questions raised above. Students are expected to be those who are currently registered while experts should be affiliated to recognizable institutions, parastatals and agencies in Nigeria.
- All proposals should be submitted electronically through email@example.com
- Each proposal should be accompanied by the bio-sketch of the researcher (s) and in the case of students, evidence of registration and support letter from their supervisors and Heads of Depts.
- The proposals should be accompanied also by a budget not exceeding N750,000 for experts/professionals and N550,000 for students
The selection would be through a blind review and scoring process by a panel of experts who are not affiliated to or associated with ACCAI.
Deadline for the receipt of full applications is the 15th of April 2016. Those whose proposals are accepted would be informed of the timelines for delivering on the project. However, be advised that the ACCAI will require swift action and full commitment to the project.